Thursday, January 20, 2011

Grandparents

 

This is a picture of my husband and his grandma at our wedding.

Our wedding was the last "big event" she got to go to before her bypass surgery. They didn't know about how bad her insides were, so they did the surgery, but needless to say she died.

Looking back at that day still makes me tear up. Not because I knew her well because I didn't, there was no strong connection between her and I, but she was family. At the hospital I remember the sad faces and the tears of my new family. As I watched them cry so as it says in the bible in Romans 12:15 (King James Version)15Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.... So I wept with those that wept. Not because it said so in the bible, but because when someone you love is in pain it causes you to also be in pain. It was such a tragedy after all only a month or so before her surgery was our wedding where we were all rejoicing, but as it says in the bible in Ecclesiastes 3 1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 2A time to be born, and a time to die;... Unfortunately it was her time.

There are days when I can tell something is wrong. It's those days when my husband is deep in thought. Some days it's nothing, but about once or twice a month when I ask he'll say I miss my grandma and grandpa.

I don't know what exactly causes him to think about them, it could be seeing an older person or an outfit someone is wearing, but it doesn't really matter what caused it, because for a while we will just sit and talk about them. I've heard about them both, but I guess it's easier for me to remember things about his grandma because I'd met her.

His grandma,Mildred (she went by Louise) was full of life, caring, and a fun person to be around, of course that's just naming a few things. I remember the first time I went to her house she kept saying "go to the kitchen and get something to eat" she was constantly trying to feed us. And I remember it was either Christmas or Thanksgiving she wanted us to all just take a few moments and remember Miles' grandpa, which of course was just to much to ask for one of her daughters whom will remain nameless. I wish I could have had more time to get to know his Grandma.

As for his grandpa, Donald, I know he was a plumber and that at family events he would always be the one with the camera. I was told he always had the camera strapped to his neck ready to take a picture. I don't know much more than that, but I do intend to learn more. From what I've heard of him I wish I could have met him. Miles and I have his camera and one of his white work jumpers and some other things such as tools and nic-nacs. But no pictures, I intend on changing that.

Well, I've told you most of what I know on this subject, but I do want to say something. If you're lucky enough to have your grandparents in your life don't take it for granted! Take it from someone who never knew her grandpas due to death and never had a chance to be close to her grandmas due to distance and families not getting along. Grandparents ARE important learn all you can about them, learn from their mistakes, listen to their stories, write it all down, remember every moment and then if you have kids tell them everything about them because they'll want to know. How do I know? Because I wish I knew about my grandmas and grandpas and my great grandmas and grandpas and so on and so forth.

No comments: