Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pregnancy Is Over!

1 week ago today I had my perfect little man!
Name: Seth Paul
Date of birth: 9/27/12
Time of birth: 9:37 p.m.
Weight: 8 lbs. 12 oz.
Height: 20 3/4 in.

9/27 my Dr. had scheduled me to get induced since I would be 41 weeks. So Miles and I went to the hospital at 7 a.m.

They checked my cervix and I was 1 1/2 cm. dilated so they inserted a pill to help me dilate. After about 2 hours they checked again and I was, I believe, 3 or 3 1/2 cm. dilated.

My Dr. asked if I would like my water broken or my epidural first. Knowing that after my water would break the contractions would only get worse I chose to get the epidural first so it would kick in before she broke my water.

So I got the epidural and really it was no more painful than getting the iv's in. The epidural is wonderful btw! The contractions were very painful at only 3 or 3 1/2 cm. so I'm so glad that the epidural exists and that it actually worked for me.  Yes, you can feel pressure, but really no pain.

The Dr. had to be in surgery for a couple of hours and said she would break my water when she got out. So I waited. During my waiting one of the nurses checked my cervix and my water sack was bulging and it broke during the check.

Eventually I was dilated enough to start pushing and that's when the fun began. I was already exhausted and I kept falling asleep for a minute or two (or at least it felt like a minute or two). I pushed for 3 hours with the help of my husband and my mom coaching me and giving me support. Mom helped hold my left leg and Miles my right. The method of pushing was 3 10 second pushes per contraction (a few times there were 4) I could feel pressure, but no real pain besides my heartburn and upper back pain. Yeah, it was real fun to push with heartburn and upper back pain. I'm sure I would have had lower back pain too, but I couldn't feel it. Lol.

Seth's head wasn't positioned right, it was angled just a little bit off so they used the suction to help him out.

As said above at 9:37 p.m. my perfect, precious, gift from God was finally here.

They placed him on me and cleaned him off. Took him over to get checked, weighed, measured, etc.

While the nurses did that the Dr. and another nurse stitched me up. Since he was such a big baby I had a 3rd degree tear and it took them a little while to get me stitched up. Luckily I was still numb from the epidural so I could feel that they were doing something and I knew what they were doing, but it didn't hurt.

I was in and out during the whole day so I'm sorry that I can't really give you times and whole lot of detail, but I'm giving you what I know. I'm sure my husband and my mother could tell the story better, but I'm the blogger so it's my version of the story that you get.

So it's a week later and I'm still sore, but it gets better and better each day. I know soon I'll be back to normal and that the stitches will dissolve soon. I can't wait!

I'm having a hard time believing that a week has passed already and that I'm a mommy! I'm sure it will eventually fully hit me that I'm a mommy, but I'm not sure when that's going to happen.

Seth is a great baby! I could not have asked for a better baby. He sleeps almost the whole night, he doesn't fuss unless he's hungry or gassy, he burps pretty easily (most of the time), smiles and makes faces a lot, etc. I absolutely love him!

I love being a mommy! And my husband loves being a daddy! He's on FMLA for 2 weeks, which he only has 1 week left now :( I've so enjoyed having him at home! I'm glad he was able to take off 2 weeks, but since it isn't paid I'll feel a bit better (financially) when he goes back to work. I will miss having him here!

It will be different taking care of Seth with absolutely no help.. like for someone to watch him when I need to go to the bathroom and such things. I'm sure we'll be fine though. I'll get used to that just like I've gotten used to (as much as possible) getting up to take care of Seth in the middle of the night.

Btw as much as I may hurt from my 3rd degree tear I'd still do it again, it was worth it!



1 comment:

Danielle Smith said...

=) It's amazing isn't it!!! Suggestions for when Miles goes back to work and it's just you. When you need to take a shower do it while he's napping or put him in a bouncing/vibrating seat and sit him on the bathroom floor and every so often peek your head out of the shower =) And when it comes to bathroom breaks and he's awake invest in a baby carrier that straps on you or grab that bouncer/vibrating seat and sit him in it at the door =) It gets tough but it'll get easier